Highlights of Fourth Grade:
- Reading: Multiple genre studies and comprehension of both short stories and novels is a primary focus. Students will participate in book clubs with their classmates. Independent reading, both at home and at school, is an important component in developing life-long reading skills.
- Math: Before entering fourth grade, it is essential that students master basic math facts: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Mastering these basic math facts will enable students to efficiently solve more complex math problems.
- Writing: Students will consume, critique, and produce multiple genres. These include: narrative stories, persuasive and literary essays, and various research reports.
- Social Studies: The history of New York State is the primary focus in social studies. Units of study include: geography, economics, Native Americans, explorers, Colonial Period, revolutionary War, government, Industrial Revolution, and immigration.
- Science: A hands-on approach is emphasized in science. Units of study include: crayfish and animal adaptations, magnets, energy, electricity, matter, Earth Processes, plants and pollination, body systems, health, nutrition, and cells.