Helpful Homework Tips
Helpful Reading Tips
- Find a quiet place to complete homework, away from distractions.
- Set a specific time to complete homework everyday.
- Make sure all materials are easy to find (pencils, paper, dictionary, notebooks, etc).
- Allow study breaks, if needed.
- Keep your agenda close by to stay organized and check off completed assignments.
- Reward yourself for finishing all assigned work!
- Activate prior knowledge: Think of everything you know about a topic before you read about it.
- Think aloud as your read: Talk to yourself out loud as you read, noticing details or asking questions.
- Making inferences: Try to figure out what the author is telling you using clues from the text.
- Using context clues: Use the information within the text to determine the overall meaning.
- Summarizing: Provide a brief description of the book.
- Identifying main idea vs. details: Determine what the story is MOSTLY ABOUT vs. facts.
- Questioning before, during, and after reading: Ask and answer questions before, during, and after reading.
- Predicting: Guess what the story will be about or what event will happen next.
- Sequencing: Put the story's events in order.