TEACHER: Mr. Fran MetzgerPHONE: 716-407-9175EMAIL: email@example.com
About the Teacher: I have been a teacher in the Clarence Central School District for 22 years.
Welcome to Mr. Metzger's 5th grade class at Harris Hill Elementary!
Students will be actively engaged in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies lessons. All students in fifth grade are expected to demonstrate responsibility for all work. This includes class work and homework.
Highlights of Fifth Grade:
- Reading: Multiple genre studies and comprehension of both short stories and novels is a primary focus. Students will participate in book clubs with their classmates. Independent reading, both at home and at school, is an important component in developing life long reading skills.
- Math: Before entering fifth grade, it is essential that students master basic math facts: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Mastering these basic math facts will enable students to efficiently solve more complex math problems. This foundation is needed for concepts in algebra, geometry, probability/statistics, and problem solving.
- Writing: Students will consume, critique, and produce multiple genres.
- Social Studies: Units of study include: geography, the Western Hemisphere, and an in-depth study of the United States government.
- Science: A hands-on approach is emphasized in science. Units of study include: earth science, physical science and earth/space science.