- Clarence Central School District
Update from Clarence CSD October 15, 2021
Dear Clarence School Family,
Thank you so much for being willing to engage in our first ThoughtExchange. So far, we have had more than 1,000 participants and 33,000 ratings. That is a pretty impressive level of engagement, and we will leave the link open for sharing, rating, and discovering until this coming Thursday. If you haven’t had a chance to do so already, I would invite you to join the conversation by clicking this link.
Weekly COVID Report
Each Friday, we will send out a COVID report with weekly data involving positive case counts as well as the number of individuals placed in quarantine by the Erie County Department of Health. Below you will see the report from this past week.
- 9 individuals at Clarence High School tested positive, 17 quarantined
- 2 individuals at Clarence Middle School tested positive, 4 quarantined
- 2 individuals at Clarence Center Elementary School tested positive, 5 quarantined
- 1 individual at Harris Hill Elementary School tested positive, 0 quarantined
- 4 individuals at Ledgeview Elementary School tested positive, 4 quarantined
- 1 individual at Sheridan Hill Elementary School tested positive, 0 quarantined
Resources for Supporting Struggling Students
Many of us have heard the phrase, “Maslow before Bloom.” The simple statement is a reminder that for learning (Bloom’s Taxonomy) to occur, we must find ways to address the basic needs (Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs) of kids. To help ensure we are doing all we can to support our students, we will be hosting a virtual presentation with local experts on the combined topic of “Social and Emotional Learning/Mental Health” at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 28. I will provide more specific detail in my Friday message next week, but I also wanted to pass along some resources you might find helpful if you notice your son or daughter struggling with stress, anxiety, or depression.
- “Behind the Mask 2.0: Thriving.” October 20, 2021 Zoom mental health forum with author Ross Szabo (Behind Happy Faces)
- Clarence Virtual Calming Room
- Mental Health Resources
Friday Night Match-Up
As you probably know, our football game against Lancaster has been selected as the Spectrum News 1 Friday Night Match-Up this week! While we hope to see you here in person cheering on our Red Devils, tonight’s game will also air live at 7:00 p.m. on the Spectrum news channels throughout Western New York.
Finally, I wanted to highlight a real “bright spot” at #ClarenceProud. Earlier today, our 7th grade students participated in our Middle School’s 9th annual “Walk for Water.” The fundraiser is connected to the book A Long Walk to Water, and over the years our students have collectively raised more than $170,000 to provide 47 rainwater collection tanks and dozens of filtration systems throughout Uganda. The project is a reminder that our kids are never too young to change the world, and evidence that our school is indeed one of the top districts around. (Click this link if you would like to contribute.)
Hoping this finds you safe, healthy, and well—have a great weekend.
Matt Frahm, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools